Members of New Milton Town Council must abide by the following Code of Conduct.
Whenever you are acting in your capacity as a Councillor:
- You must not use, or try to use, your position improperly to obtain an advantage or disadvantage for yourself or any other person or body.
- You must not use your Council’s resources improperly for political purposes or any other purposes forbidden by your Council.
- You must not do anything that compromises, or is likely to compromise, the impartiality of those who work for the Council.
- You must not bully anyone.
- (Bullying is offensive, intimidating, malicious, insulting or humiliating behaviour that is directed at someone over whom you have some actual or potential influence).
- You must not intimidate, or try to intimidate, anyone who has complained about you or who may be involved with a complaint about you.
- You must not disclose information that you know, or ought to know, is confidential, without authority or a legitimate reason.
- You must not prevent, or try to prevent, anyone from obtaining information to which they are entitled by law.
- You must not do anything that may cause your Council to breach any of the Equality laws that prohibit discrimination on grounds such as age, sex, race, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or pregnancy.