The War Memorial on New Milton Recreation Ground is our focal point for Remembrance, particularly on Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day, a place where the names of the brave Miltonians, who fought and fell during conflicts and wars, are inscribed for all to see on the base of the monument.
There are 223 names inscribed on the War Memorial. They are not just names though. Their inscription is a reminder to us of the brave people who sacrificed their lives, 83 during WW1 and 140 in WW2. We will remember them.
Thanks to the legacy of Reverend John Edward Kelsall, the War Memorial was commissioned from funds received by public subscription. The Memorial was proudly unveiled on Sunday 26 September 1920, to a large congregation consisting of local residents, boy scouts, girl guides and local school children. The Dedication Ceremony involved a large united choir singing hymns, local clergy giving dedication prayers, addressing the congregation saying that “the hearts of their brothers, whose names were on the cross, had often turned homeward in the day of battle and that the beautiful monument would prove that they were not forgotten here”.
The Town Council had hoped to host a celebration event this year at the War Memorial on its Centenary anniversary, but unfortunately due to the Covid pandemic and restrictions at this time we have postponed our celebration until next year.
In honour of the Centenary anniversary, the Amenities Committee have proposed to plant a Centenary Rose Garden which will see climbing roses such as Strawberry Hill and Bathsheba, and shrub roses such as Golden Celebration and Summer Song planted under a pergola on the Recreation Ground in the South Western corner.
The full history of the War Memorial and the Recreation Ground has been recorded by Nick Saunders of the Milton Heritage Society and it has recently been printed in The New Milton Mail.
You can read the article here:
New Milton Town Council
Tel : 01425 619120